[Samba] PDC/BDC without WINS

Pablo Gainza Cirauqui pablo.gainza at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 22:56:06 GMT 2005

Hello,

Our company is trying to implement central Windows Domain at HQ and
replicated across all its regional offices.  The implementation will
have a PDC/LDAP-master on HQ and BDC/LDAP-slave on each regional
office.

In the hopes of saving bandwidth we are trying to avoid the use of
WINS between WAN links.

Is there any way of not using WINS and still have the clients find the
PDC (for updating purposes as well as for redundancy)?

I read on the Samba HOWTO that registering the name
_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.DOMAIN on the DNS will make users find the PDC,
however I believe it only makes them find an Active Directory domain.

Thanks,