[Samba] WinXP looking for *.dll share names?

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Thu Jul 7 20:54:11 GMT 2005

Hi folks,

	Over the last few weeks, one of our WinXP machines (of many) has
started generating errors like the following in our log files:

Jul  5 09:43:30 blah smbd[13180]:   blah-xp (192.168.1.1) couldn't find
service sharename.dll

where "sharename" is a real share name that this user should be
mapping.  We see lots of these errors, one for each share
the user tries to map.  In each case, the share name is right,
except that it has ".dll" appended to it.

	Searching through google, I see references to similar
problems, but no clear resolution.  Is this an XP thing, a samba
thing, or a virus-infected computer?

	Thanks in advance for any help.

						Bryan
Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu