[Samba] remove wins entries - samba 3

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 19:50:42 GMT 2005

Geoff,

Sorry about the hour; I didn't realize you were still up--I went to bed....

A number of questions, and some updates.  I can find no evidence of
active named logging, although I did find one log with named entries.
In particular, what is the relevant log(s)?  There is no syslog or
system log.  Running a FIND on *log didn't turn up anything even
remotely close.  I've obviously not got logging turned on properly....

I also notice that, where John's example has several instantiations of
named running, I have only one, and it's very difficult to terminate
that one--I have to kill <pid> to do it.  Service <daemon> restart works
fine for all the others, and service named start works fine, too.  Just
service stop/restart do not work--the latter hangs on the stop part.

In the files below, why all the changes to mail from lserver1?  I
thought from John's examples these were supposed to be the server name?

Geoff Scott wrote:

>Eric Hines wrote:
>

>>Geoff Scott wrote:
>>

>>>What do your logs say for bind starting up?  Can you restart bind and
>>>watch your logs?  Do you have any errors for it?
>>>
>>f you mean winbind, a tail -f on log.winbindd just showed it
>>

>No Berkely Internet Name Daemon - BIND
>The daemon is actually named "named"
>
>Grep for the entries for that daemon (named)in the relevant log,
>/var/log/....... Syslog?

In log /var/log/messages, named starts successfully, loads all the zone
files OK, and it outputs the log entry "lame server resolving
'lserver1.test.biz' (in 'test.biz'?): 206.16.250.17#53, also ... .18#53
several times.  These are owned by a company in Barcelona, Spain.  There
also are cases (fewer) of resolving localhost.lserver1.test.biz to the
same IP addresses/ports.  tail -f messages and pinging lserver1 produced
no immediate result. I could find no other log that had named entires in
it.  According to log.nmbd, Samba server LSERVER1 and samba name server
LSERVER1 repeatedly became domain master browser and local master
browser, respectively, on 192.168.1.103.  tail -f log.nmbd also did not
respond to an unsuccessful ping of lserver1.

You asked whether I could tell my router/firewall not to send dhcp stuff
to lserver1 only.  That would take a specific MAC address exclusion
capability, and this router/firewall does not have that.  Can I,
instead, tell lserver1 not to look to the router/firewall, but only to
look to itself (/e.g./, via the dhcpd.conf or via lserver1's System
Settings|Network GUI, using the DNS and/or hosts tab)?  Or would that
lock lserver1 into itself, never to get access to the Internet?

I've done some other poking around in response to the DNS doc for which
you sent me the URL last night, and noticed these things:
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 is set as follows
(emphasis added)
       DEVICE=eth0
       BOOTPROTO=dhcp
       ONBOOT=yes
       TYPE=Ethernet
       DHCP_HOSTNAME=*lserver1*
I have the same thing for eth1 (there are two NIC chips on the
motherboard), except it's turned off.

dhcpd.leases has pserver1 (my print server) at 192.168.1.96, even though
it's hardwired via its own setup functionality to a static address of
198.162.1.10, and it responds to pings at the .10 address.

Finally, I made the zone file changes, and I still cannot ping lserver1
or lserver1.test.biz--unknown host in both cases.

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.