[Samba] "Domain User" GID != 513

jonathan.wilson jonathan.wilson at odl.com
Thu Jul 7 18:22:27 GMT 2005

OK, I think I've figured out my profiles problem in migrating from an old Samba 2.2 server to a new 3.0 server. On the old Samba 2.2 box, all users were in a group other than 513, and of course the UIDs were different. I foolishly scripted re-creating all the user accounts on the new box (using smbldap-useradd) without keeping the UIDs the same, and also putting them in GID 513. Of course, this made the Windows SIDs different and the users couldn't see their old profiles.

So, is there any problem in setting the "Domain Users" group to 100 instead of 513? Any hidden gotchas in Windows if I do this?

Thanks,
Jonathan Wilson