[Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Mike Soh sohmc at cs.umd.edu
Thu Jul 7 12:27:33 GMT 2005

Hello everyone!

I've searched the archives and seen this problem crop up a couple of different
times.  None of the solutions I've found seemed to have worked.

Here's the synopsis:
I've recently installed FC4 and samba shares for home directories should work
right out of the box.  Default settings, etc...

I get this error:

sohmc at bart:~$ smbclient //127.0.0.1/sohmc
added interface ip=192.168.1.201 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 3.0.14a-2).
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 445
Password:
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=58)
got OID=1 3 6 1 4 1 311 2 2 10
got principal=NONE
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x608a0215
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60080215
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60080215
Domain=[BART] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I've checked permissions, and even made everything world readable, still
doesn't work.

It gets weirder.  I've shared my tmp directory using the provided smb.conf:

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

I can access this share just fine.  However, I ran some permissions test to
see if I could isolate the problem.  When I use samba to put a file into
temp, the file is copied correctly.  BUT when I create a file outside of
smbclient (e.g. vim) and save it into tmp, samba cannot see it.  It says
permission denied.

I know what you're thinking...permissions are wrong.  After copying the file
using samba, I tried copying it again in the shell with another filename.
Keeping in mind that I copied with permissions and everything.  Still the same
problem.

I get the feeling that I'm missing something really big here.  I've never
experienced this problem with FC2 or FC3.  I don't think architecturally there
is anything different between FC2/3 and FC4.  I could be mistaken though.

Anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

let me know!  thanks!

--
========
Mike Soh
sohmc at cs.umd.edu
http://twentyfifteen.tripod.com

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the
testing point."