[Samba] remove wins entries - samba 3

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 04:03:38 GMT 2005

Geoff Scott wrote:

>Eric Hines wrote:
>

>>My DNS server sits on lserver1.  I'm trying to ping lserver1 from

>ping lserver1.test.biz
>
>Response is?

With /etc/resolv.conf edited per John's example (subject to the changes
I discussed in a posting just made), there's a long pause and then
"unknown host."  With /etc/resolv.conf in its original form
(dhclient-script generated), there's a short pause and then "unknown host."

>>lserver1.  With nsswitch set only to files or only to wins (/e.g./,
>>hosts: files), this is successful.  With nsswitch set only to dns, I
>>cannot get name resolution, although I can successfully ping by IP
>>address.  I can ping lserver1 by name or by IP successfully from
>>mustelidae.
>>
>>Where is lserver1 pointing in terms of DNS?  How do I tell?  At this
>>

>John also mentions setting in resolv.conf
>nameserver 127.0.0.1    (this is your loopback address)
>nameserver 192.168.0.2   (this should be the ip of your router/firewall)
>(you can have a maximum of 3 nameserver listed

I made that correction (it wasn't clear from John's example what that IP
address was for), but I still got "unknown host) when I tried to ping
lserver1 and lserver1.test.biz.

>>.  Is /etc/resolv.conf part of this
>>answer?
>>

>YES!

My resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, and smb.conf are attached.  The nsswitch
is set to dns only, now for test.  Normally it's set to files dns wins.

>>My named.conf and dhcpd.conf are built from John's example, as
>>mentioned above.  /Etc/hosts has the IP address/name pairs he calls
>>for.  I think that means I'm running a local name server.
>>
>No.  The hosts file bypasses dns eg. Nsswitch is usually set to "files dns
>wins"
>Check files 1st then dns, then wins to find names on your lan
>Files is your hosts files the rest should be self explanitory

That much I'd figured out: I meant the aggregate4 of all of those, since
that was the goal of John's set up, which included all of those.

>>As you can see, I have very little understanding of what's going on
>>here; I've rather slavishly followed John's example, and I'm clearly
>>making mistakes I'm not recognizing.
>>
>You need to learn about DNS elsewhere.
>Go here, and read this:
>http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/ch14.ht
>ml
>Particularly this:
>http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/ch14s06
>.html
>Then apply it to your situation.

Going there tonight.

>>Thanks
>>
>>Eric Hines
>>

>The over view is this:
>The way out of this mess from my point of veiw is to switch off dhcp from
>the router/firewall.

How?  I can't switch off the router/firewall.

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.