[Samba] remove wins entries - samba 3

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 02:20:55 GMT 2005

I have the following setup.  It's not fancy as I'm just trying to learn
Linux and Samba.  My test LAN consists of a Win2k, SP4 box (mustelidae)
and an FC3 (kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC3) server (lserver1) running Samba
3.0.14a.  A Samsung printer also is present via a print server plugged
into its back.  I can print to it from lserver1, although the URI for
the printer uses its IP address, so this probably doesn't mean much.  As
mustelidae also can be on a larger home LAN with access to the Internet,
and lserver1 also has access to the Internet, the whole arrangement sits
behind an 8-port Linksys router/firewall.  As I have only a 2 box set
up, I'm only struggling with one subnet out of the two that John has in
his BYEXAMPLE book (adding a second subnet ought to be a piece of cake
after I get this part running and understood).

My DNS server sits on lserver1.  I'm trying to ping lserver1 from
lserver1.  With nsswitch set only to files or only to wins (/e.g./,
hosts: files), this is successful.  With nsswitch set only to dns, I
cannot get name resolution, although I can successfully ping by IP
address.  I can ping lserver1 by name or by IP successfully from
mustelidae.

Where is lserver1 pointing in terms of DNS?  How do I tell?  At this
point, all I can say is that I've set up named.conf (and dhcpd.conf) as
John has them in his Chapt 3 example, with the sole differences being
that I'm using one subnet and not two (a DHCP issue), I'm calling my
server lserver1.test.biz, vice diamond.abmas.biz, and lserver1's IP
address is 192.168.1.103, vice the one John's using in his example.
Aside from these edits, named.conf (and dhcpd.conf) are cut and pastes
from John's latest on line.  Is /etc/resolv.conf part of this answer?
That's the file I can't keep from being overwritten by dhclient-script,
even with the two dhclient-enter-hooks examples posted earlier today.

Same, probably not very responsive, answer for whether this DNS server
has the records to do with lserver1.  The router/firewall has its own
DHCP server, and it gets its config from our ISP and from a list of DNS
servers that were loaded into the router/firewall when it was
provisioned.  lserver1 gets it address from this router.  There's been
some discussion earlier of the wisdom of this, but it's a stable
address, if not static, as it's a long-term lease.  I do intend to put
lserver1 onto a static address, but only after I've worked out all the
files that have lserver1 stored by its current address, so I can keep
them "current."  Lserver1's address hasn't changed in months, and as I'm
on it daily, its address won't change anytime soon under the present
arrangement.

My named.conf and dhcpd.conf are built from John's example, as mentioned
above.  /Etc/hosts has the IP address/name pairs he calls for.  I think
that means I'm running a local name server.

As you can see, I have very little understanding of what's going on
here; I've rather slavishly followed John's example, and I'm clearly
making mistakes I'm not recognizing.

Thanks

Eric Hines

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.