[Samba] [Fwd: Samba-3 By Ex Chapt 3]

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 00:46:36 GMT 2005

Geoff Scott wrote:

>Eric Hines wrote:
>

>>Geoff,
>>

>What do your logs say about NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE for the stuff below?
>
>What type of sam are you running? Ldapsam / tdbsam ?

It's set for tdbsam.  I've not got that set up right, though, according
to the smbd log.  I've frankly walked away from this problem, though,
until I get DNS resolution running.  My WINS does seem to be, tested
with nsswitch set solely to wins.  Now it's set back to hosts: files dns
wins.  I've been in log.nmbd, log.smbd, log.winbindd, and smbd.  Smbd
yells about "Unable to open TDB rid database!"  There's a pretty clear
hint; I just haven't had time to pursue it.

>>>There was a thread titled logon.bat that started a bit before this
>>>one. Have a look at that for example logon script settings.
>>>
>>I'm studying that, too.  That may help with my logon problem, but it
>>doesn't address my DNS problem.
>>
>>When I run the logon.bat file from my Win2k box, I get the following
>>in a DOS window:
>>
>>    net time \\lserver1 /set /yes
>>    System error 5 has occurred.
>>
>I'd guess that would work if you had wins set in your nsswitch

It is, though: hosts: files dns wins

>>    Access is denied.
>>
>>    net use h: /home
>>    The user's home directory has not been specified.
>>

>Well that's just clearly wrong.  As John said in that post I mentioned:
>net use o: %LOGONSERVER%\sharename
>Or
>net use o: \\lserver1\sharename
>
>But none of those is going to work unles name resolution is working.
>Particularly wins for this example.

Agree on both.  I still need to study John's post, but I'm concentrating
on getting DNS to work for now.  WINS does seem to be working.

>Regards Geoff Scott

Thanks
Eric Hines

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.