[Samba] Re: McAfee 8 incompatible with Samba

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed Jul 6 22:20:19 GMT 2005

>> Since I've updated McAfee to version 8 many applications
>> which open file chooser dialogs report "Access denied"
>> when trying to open a Samba share, including the users's
>> own home directory.
>
> Is this the version of McAfee that includes a Windows firewall program?  I
> find it's necessary to tell it to trust the local subnet (or, at very least,
> the PDC and any fileservers) to get anything to work right in a domain
> setting.  It took me forever to figure this out the first time I tried to
> join a McAfee-infested machine to our domain.

A very good hint, David.
Stil, I don't install the firewall explicitly because all of
the boxes are behind a firewall anyway. This "Access denied"
error comes up even if all of the components of McAfee are
disabled. Only a deinstall helps.

But perhaps I should go with the flow and let the firewall
install with the rest and then configure it as you suggested.

I'll keep you posted.