[Samba] su broken after ldap auth

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 20:33:02 GMT 2005

hi,

first of all, thanks to all the samba team for your great work and
documentation. Well done!

I have followed the 'By Example' guide, everything is working fine,
except one thing. As indicated on chapter 5, point 14 of Configuration
of smbldap-tools, when I try:

# getent passwd | grep root

I have 2 results, both id 0

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
root:x:0:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/root:/bin/bash

The problem arises when, as root, I try su-ing to another user. It
asks me for a password! Which is quite embarrassing if the account you
try to su to has none (like the account for the fetchmail daemon, for
instance).

This all on a debian sarge, samba 3.0.14a, openldap 2.2.23.8.

My /etc/pam.d/su is this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
auth    requisite       pam_wheel.so group=wheel debug
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so use_first_pass
account    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
password   required   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so

thanks in advance,

N.Asenjo