[Samba] smbldap-useradd

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Wed Jul 6 20:14:43 GMT 2005

Scott Mayo schrieb:
> I have my new servers up and going with Samba and LDAP on them.  Now I
> have to add my users.  Here is my problem.  I have written a perl script
> that reads a file and adds users to different groups depending on what
> grade they are in and it also generates a random password, that it
> exports to a master list.  The old script would add the user to unix and
> then to samba, along with the password of each user.  This made it easy
> for me to have our student records program to export all of their
> information and then run it through my perl script.
>
> Now that I have switched over to Samba/ldap, I see no option to add the
> passwd in the command line.  It always prompts for the passwd.  Does
> anyone have a way that I can add the user and passwd?  The '-P' option
> in smbldap-useradd does not take a password in-line, but rather asks for
> it to be typed in.
>
> The unix 'passwd' was the same way, but it had a switch '--stdin' so
> that I could pipe the passwd into it and the smbpasswd actually let you
> put the password in-line.
>
> Thanks for any help.  I really do not want to have to enter all of these
> passwords by hand, and I also do not want them making their own.

Did you see LAM - LDAP Account Manager - http://lam.sf.net ?

It's pretty good for managing the domain users, machines, groups etc.
You can really fine tune everything there (password expiration, paths,
etc.).

Give it a try, it's a nice tool.

--
Tomek
WPKG - automated software installation with Samba