[Samba] [Fwd: Samba-3 By Ex Chapt 3]

Dwight Tovey dtovey at emergecore.com
Wed Jul 6 17:19:08 GMT 2005

Dwight Tovey said:

> Eric Hines said:
>> Yes, I am--or at least I think so; the daemon is running, and it's
>> configured according the the Chapt 3 example.  The /etc/resolv.conf
>> file
>>  says it's written by /etc/dhclient-script, so I disabled that file,
>> adjusted the resolv and tried again.  No effect.  Also, during reboot,
>> when dhcpd started up, I got the error message "Not configured to
>> listen
>>  on any interface.  Wrote 5 new leases."  When the reboot completed, I
>> had no Internet connection whatsoever.  I had to re-enable
>> dhclient-script and reboot.
>>
>> So I remain with the problems that I have no DNS resolution
>> capability, and I cannot edit, with permanence, /etc/resolv.conf.  I'd
>> probably be satisfied with the latter if I could get DNS to work.
>>

> You need to understand the difference between dhcpd and dhcpcd.  dhcpd
> is the server that provides network configuration information to other
> clients out on the network.  dhcpcd is the client part that requests
> that configuration info from the server.  If the other machines on your
> internal network have static IP addresses, then you don't need to be
> running dhcpd.  However, you probably do want to run dhcpcd on your
> gateway machine because it gets the network config info from your ISP.

And before anybody else notices the big chunk that I left out, Eric is not
running dhcpcd.  That client has been replaced by 'dhclient'.  You need to
run that on your Internet interface to get the IP configuration info from
your ISP (with the hook that I gave before to ignore the resolv.conf
part).  If you want the machines on your internal intranet to be
configured via dhcp, then you may run 'dhcpd' on the internal network
interface to serve them.

Hope I didn't cause too much confusion before.

    /dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey
email: dtovey at emergecore.com
---------
Work to Live : Live to Ride : Ride to Work