[Samba] *Funding available ID:Yptrffhh2622165837

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 16:14:26 GMT 2005

The call trick also works in reverse.  Shortly after the PRC started
minting their Panda gold coins, I got a long distance call (MI to NM,
and in those days, Ma Bell was still a regulated monopoly--that call's
per minute rate was not low) from a broker offering to let me in on the
ground floor of buying a supply of these wonderful, valuable collector's
items for only a little above the face value of those coins.

He called just as I was sitting down to supper after painting my house,
so I was in a bad mood (I hate painting houses).  Rather than blowing
him off and hanging up, though, I engaged him in conversation about the
relative merits of gold bullion vs gold coins, the gold coins of other
nations (including the US) as collector's items, the investing value of
collector's item gold coins vs the value of simply buying bullion, where
we thought the price of gold was going, and in which nation as its
economy evolved, the value of gold vs silver, platinum, mines, other
commodities in general (I even got him onto coal for a little bit).  I
kept him on the phone on his nickel (lots of them) for an hour.  And at
the end, when he asked if I were going to buy any Pandas, and I said no,
hadn't he been listening, I could hear the phone slam down on his end.

I not only never heard from that company again, but for the next several
months the number of cold calls coming in offering me any good deals was
a good approximation of zero.

Eric Hines

Jeff Frantz wrote:

>Just give them a call at their toll-free number:  866-322-3376
>
>It costs them money and you can annoy the crap out of them.  I just
>called and someone actually answered.  I told her to expect lots of
>calls!
>
>-Jeff

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.
  - Abraham Lincoln