[Samba] Logins require local admin membership on Windows XP

Lee Ball lee at effective-it.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 11:28:40 GMT 2005

Is there a process that you should do when migrating from Samba 2 to
Samba 3?

I have spoken to my colleague who did the migration and the way it was
done was to copy the files that contain the user accounts over.

The symptoms we seem to have is that a workstation won't allow access to
certain files unless it recognises that you are either a member of the
domain admins group or a member of the administrators group on the local
machine. This is what causes the programs to not function. It appears to
be only programs that require specific access to things stored on the
local machine. I think one of these examples is the ODBC files used to
communicate with access databases. Trackit for example.

I've googled for migration information but turned up with nothing
specific at the moment. I'm going to re-read the Samba 3 docs now though
incase there is something in there.

--
Lee Ball
08707 45 87 14