[Samba] Need urgent help witch create mask rights

Aldi edv at aldinger-gmbh.de
Wed Jul 6 08:27:27 GMT 2005

Hello, I've found this in the newsgroup and it works fine with the
inherit owner option.
The user is not able to delete the files he has created. Se below.
But my problem is that this doesn't work if you create a new folder and
the new create files in this new folder.
Any ideas how I can get the users to not delete the folder an the files
under the folder?

Thank's a lot.

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 09:31, Jonathan Kelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to configure a Samba server to serve as an "archive" where
users
> would be allowed to read, write new files, but not overwrite or delete
them
> once they're there.
>
> I guess a script that changes the file permissions (ran, say, every 10

> minutes) would do the trick but I was wondering if a cleaner way
exists.

Jeremy Allison implemented support for this, now called "Drop-Box"
support,
very recently. I have yet to document it. I hope to do that soon. Here
is the
core of what you need to do:

1. Create a directory share point
2. Set the owner to someone who is NOT a member of the group that owns
 the directory
3. Set permissions to: rwxrws---
4. In smb.conf:
 a) Create a share stanza
 b) Add:
  inherit permissions = Yes
  inherit owner = Yes
5. Users must be members of the group that owns the directory and the
files
 within it.

That is the rough notes I took at the time. I have not tested this - so
be
warned that I suffer bit-rot and may have left something out.