[Samba] Logins require local admin membership on Windows XP

Thomas M. Skeren III tms3 at fsklaw.net
Tue Jul 5 15:32:03 GMT 2005

Lee Ball wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to this list so if I break any rules be gentle :)
>
> I will try to put in as much detail into this as I can, here I go:
>
> We have a domain at work with Samba (samba-3.0.10-1.fc2) as the PDC.
> The Linux box is running FC2 as the rpm suggests running on a
> 2.6.5-1.358smp kernel.
>
> The problems that we exhibit is that unless you have your domain
> account made a member of the administrators group on the workstation
> for things to work correctly, if your not various things break:
>
> Desktop wallpaper displays when logging in then is replaced with a
> blue background default desktop
> Outlook won't run and reports "Outlook cannot start" when trying to
> run it (although Thunderbird works)
> Track-it won't run, it just simply hangs and then ends with Not
> responding

I've only experienced this during some kind of upgrade.  It's typically
the result of trying to load a profile that has a different SID.  Always
the best way to do these things (if running XP Pro) is to use the files
and settings transfer wizard on client machines, do upgrade and reimport
the profile into the user account.  Of course on large networks this is
not a good option.

For larger situations, or if running nt4/w2k you need to keep your SID,
and your user SID's.