[Samba] Logins require local admin membership on Windows XP

Lee Ball lee at effective-it.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 14:50:51 GMT 2005

Hello,

This is my first post to this list so if I break any rules be gentle :)

I will try to put in as much detail into this as I can, here I go:

We have a domain at work with Samba (samba-3.0.10-1.fc2) as the PDC. The
Linux box is running FC2 as the rpm suggests running on a 2.6.5-1.358smp
kernel.

The problems that we exhibit is that unless you have your domain account
made a member of the administrators group on the workstation for things
to work correctly, if your not various things break:

Desktop wallpaper displays when logging in then is replaced with a blue
background default desktop
Outlook won't run and reports "Outlook cannot start" when trying to run
it (although Thunderbird works)
Track-it won't run, it just simply hangs and then ends with Not responding

This behaviour only happened once we moved our domain from being on
Samba (samba-2.2.7-5.8.0) running on Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
on a 2.4.20 kernel.
We imported the old smbpassd file onto the new server (I didn't do this
but could find out the process taken if required).

This behaviour has happened on a customers site too which is the same
story except that their installation is samba-3.0.10-1.4E running on
CentOS release 4.0 (Final) on a 2.6.11.12 kernel.

I've tried lots of things recently and I'm starting to get a little bit
lost and would like some ideas from you learned lot.

If you require anything like samba configs and the like just request and
I shall post a non-user specific list to retain anonymity.

One of the entries in my samba logs for logging into the machine I've
been working on whilst the user is a non admin:
[2005/07/05 13:30:45, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr.c:api_samr_set_userinfo(786)
  api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO.

Cheers

--
Lee Ball
08707 45 87 14