[Samba] Lock accounts with SAMBA

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Mon Jul 4 13:55:51 GMT 2005

Look into ldap; if you are a busy admin as you say you are - then why
re-invent the wheel? There are numerous LDAP account management systems, and
bearing in mind that you're using linux somewhere at the desktop level - you
can use LDAP for BOTH samba and UNIX accounts. As far as locking/unlocking
an account goes, simply enable/disable it via LDAP, simple ldapmodify
command from the shell and you're good to go - or even better, use PERL and
make yourself a simple web-interface if you'd prefer.

In my humble experience, LDAP is definetly the way to go. We've got a single
LDAP repository of all users, domains, machine accounts, idmaps, etc. This
repository is then made redundant by slave ldap servers which also enables
load-sharing, and fail-safe systems. It's eay to work with, works across
almost any platform: we have Sun Solaris/Sparc Workstations, FreeBSD servers
& workstations on the UNIX side using nss_ldap and pam_ldap, as well as
numerous windows accounts in a domain environment serviced by the FreeBSD
servers running OpenLDAP and Samba. We're using LAM (LDAP Account Manager);
a free(ly) available PHP-based LDAP Account Management GUI - which allows us
to administer users, accounts, and machine accounts from anywhere on the
network via a web browser.

If time, conveinience, and ease-of-use are you biggest administrative
hurdles - then LDAP is what you're missing.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.