[Samba] Samba bdc

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Sat Jul 2 18:19:17 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Scott Mayo schrieb:

>>> well, I'd do some more things.
>>>
>>> 1) set log level to 3 in smb.conf
>>> 2) stop Samba
>>> 3) remove logs from /var/log/samba
>>> 4) start Samba
>>> 5) see the logs if there are any indications about failures in
>>> contacting LDAP?
>> Actually the BDC says it failed to get ldap server info.  Not sure why
>> since ldapsearch and other things seem to work.

> how does the ldap configuration look like in your smb.conf file?
>
> generally, smb.conf for PDC and BDC should be the same (with the
> differences like server name, and domain master = yes/no).

Yes, I copied it over and then changed those couple of things.

>>> 6) see BDC and PDC logs and search who the PDC *really* is (maybe BDC
>>> doesn't know it for some reason)?

>> How do I do this?  I assume from the nmbd.log file, but not sure how
>> to tell which server won.

> hmm I don't remember exactly, as I can't check it now - but it should
> indicate that "host HOSTNAME is a domain master for ..."? perhaps it
> looks a little different.

I will get this printed out where I can see it better and try to figure
out what is going on

>>> 7) can you add usernames/workstations from command line on BDC?
>>>
>>> smbldap-useradd -w testworkstation
>>>
>>> getent passwd

>> I can, but getent does not pull it up from the slave.

> why not?
> you have a slave LDAP, right? you should pull this data from the
> localhost (127.0.0.1).
> It's the sense of having a slave.

It works except for the users that I just added.  As I said, this is
strange since teh slurpd 'One Shot' Mode works for replica, but does not
otherwise.  I have posted to the opendlpad forum for that one.

> How does smbldap.conf look for a slave and master LDAP?
> It should point to 127.0.0.1 on a master for both, and to some other IP
> on a slave in a "masterLDAP" part (see below).

> # Ex: slaveLDAP=127.0.0.1
> slaveLDAP="127.0.0.1"
> slavePort="389"
>
> # Master LDAP : needed for write operations
> # Ex: masterLDAP=127.0.0.1
> masterLDAP="192.168.5.6"
> masterPort="389"

I had 127.0.0.1 on all.  I changed this to your example.  I wondered
about this, but was not sure.  Thanks.

>> It does from the master after adding it from the slave.  I have just
>> found out that replication only works if I do a One Shot mode of
>> slurpd.  That has me bumfuzzled, so I will see what I can figure out
>> on that.
>

> adding a user should work both from a slave and a master.
> getent passwd should show all users on a slave, even just right after
> adding another user on a slave.

Yes, that is what I thought, but is not doing it yet.  Must have
something wrong in a config somewhere.  Just have not found it yet.

>>> 8) you might also want to stop Samba, remove all *.tdb files, and
>>> start it once again - make a backup of these files, I don't want to
>>> break anything in your setup :)

>> Don't worry about breaking anything.  This is all test.  Once I get it
>> done, I am going to reset it up. :)  What was removing the tdb files
>> supposed to do?

> It can contain some data (especially wins.dat, which you might also
> delete), like pointing to non-exeisting servers if you experimented with
> your Samba too much...

> Does "net getlocalsid" give the same result on PDC and BDC? It should.

Actually they don't.  I thought that I copied it to both servers.  I'll
see if I can find where that is set.  Do you know where it is.
Thanks for all of you help.  You are helping me get this narrowed down.

--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.