[Samba] Samba bdc

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Sat Jul 2 16:48:17 GMT 2005

Scott Mayo schrieb:

(...)

>> well, I'd do some more things.
>>
>> 1) set log level to 3 in smb.conf
>> 2) stop Samba
>> 3) remove logs from /var/log/samba
>> 4) start Samba
>> 5) see the logs if there are any indications about failures in
>> contacting LDAP?
>

> Actually the BDC says it failed to get ldap server info.  Not sure why
> since ldapsearch and other things seem to work.

how does the ldap configuration look like in your smb.conf file?

generally, smb.conf for PDC and BDC should be the same (with the
differences like server name, and domain master = yes/no).

>> 6) see BDC and PDC logs and search who the PDC *really* is (maybe BDC
>> doesn't know it for some reason)?
>

> How do I do this?  I assume from the nmbd.log file, but not sure how to
> tell which server won.

hmm I don't remember exactly, as I can't check it now - but it should
indicate that "host HOSTNAME is a domain master for ..."? perhaps it
looks a little different.

>> 7) can you add usernames/workstations from command line on BDC?
>>
>> smbldap-useradd -w testworkstation
>>
>> getent passwd
>

> I can, but getent does not pull it up from the slave.

why not?
you have a slave LDAP, right? you should pull this data from the
localhost (127.0.0.1).
It's the sense of having a slave.

How does smbldap.conf look for a slave and master LDAP?
It should point to 127.0.0.1 on a master for both, and to some other IP
on a slave in a "masterLDAP" part (see below).

# Ex: slaveLDAP=127.0.0.1
slaveLDAP="127.0.0.1"
slavePort="389"

# Master LDAP : needed for write operations
# Ex: masterLDAP=127.0.0.1
masterLDAP="192.168.5.6"
masterPort="389"

> It does from the
> master after adding it from the slave.  I have just found out that
> replication only works if I do a One Shot mode of slurpd.  That has me
> bumfuzzled, so I will see what I can figure out on that.

adding a user should work both from a slave and a master.
getent passwd should show all users on a slave, even just right after
adding another user on a slave.

>> 8) you might also want to stop Samba, remove all *.tdb files, and
>> start it once again - make a backup of these files, I don't want to
>> break anything in your setup :)
>

> Don't worry about breaking anything.  This is all test.  Once I get it
> done, I am going to reset it up. :)  What was removing the tdb files
> supposed to do?

It can contain some data (especially wins.dat, which you might also
delete), like pointing to non-exeisting servers if you experimented with
your Samba too much...

Does "net getlocalsid" give the same result on PDC and BDC? It should.