[Samba] W2K Workstation not reading NTConfig.pol

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Sat Jul 2 13:24:43 GMT 2005

> I have recently set up an small SAMBA network(just my
> server and a W2K SP4 Workstation). My Server is acting
> as a PDC. Everything seems to work flawlessly, users,
> roaming profiles, netlogon script, etc... But I cannot
> make this machine to read my NTConfig.pol file.
>
> I have it at my NETLOGON share [/srv/netlogon] with
> rwxr-xr-x permissions. I have tried with different
> filenames (NTConfig.POL, ntconfig.pol, etc...) but
> none seems to work.

just few ideas:

1) try turn on audit on that share (audit is special module for samba,
it does not have all the features Windows audit has, but samba will log
read events), audit is described very well in Samba Official Howto

2) look at "Settings --> Control Panel --> Administration --> Events"
on a workstation (if You are lucky, You can try to find checked/debug
build of userenv.dll, which handles policies and profiles. I was never
lucky)