[Samba] location of roaming profile

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Sat Jul 2 11:24:43 GMT 2005

> Why is it more secure to create a separate share for storing user profiles?

it is not more secure :-)

the only thing I see in putting profiles on separate share is the need of
emulating ACL on profiles. w2k sp4 is very picky about ACLs, so samba
emulates them with "profiles acls = yes". It _might_ be inappropriate
to have such ACL emulation on "homes" share.

However (it isn't written on man page, I think it should be updated ?),
if samba is configured with ACL support (I'm running such samba servers on
FreeBSD-5.X+UFS2 + windows xp sp2 workstations), it is ok to run it
without "profile acls", I noticed no problems this way.