[Samba] Domain Users and smbldap-useradd

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Jul 1 22:01:39 GMT 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 15:51, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> linuxlady schrieb:
> >>No, users can be in other groups you created, like "somecity",
> >>"firstgroup" etc. - that's why the groups are, right? :)
> >
> > Yes, but do users have to be in the group "Domain Users" for samba to
> > work properly?

It is a good idea to have all users as a member of the "Domain Users" group.
That is typically what happens under NT4. Your users can have any domain
global group as  their primary group. That too is a standard practice under
Windows.

The purpose of having all users as a member of the "Domain Users" group is so
that workstation logon access can be controlled using a single domain entity.

For example, you may want to set a policy that only members of the "Domain
Users" group can log on locally. That means that no local accounts can be
used if they are inadvertantly created, and thus avoids potential for
security encroachment and systems misuse.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra