[Samba] location of roaming profile

linuxlady linuxlady2714 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 19:39:05 GMT 2005

Why is it more secure to create a separate share for storing user profiles?

I've tested using:

[global]
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

[profiles]
path = /var/lib/samba/profiles

And this works fine.  But, why not just put the profile in the home
directory?  I can see that a user might save a file on the desktop and
then not be able to find it.  When I previously used roaming profiles
on a Windows Server, the location was in the user's profile directory.

Is this so the user won't accidently delete their own profile in their home dir?

What are the advantages of using a separate share for profiles?

What are the problems in storing the roaming profile in the home directory?

I'm using Samba with LDAP on SuSE, and will be using roaming profiles
in a lab environment.

Thanks,

Yasee