[Samba] file permission / ACL problems with Office files

Pierre Dehaen pi at drever.be
Fri Jul 1 07:43:30 GMT 2005

Hi,

While searching for a resolution to my own permissions problem a few days
ago, I saw a document related to your problem.

It is due to the way Office updates a file: it creates a new file with a temporary
name, it deletes the old file, and then it renames the temporary file to the
original name. That's why your ACLs are lost.

AFAIR the solution was to use default ACL entries in the upper directory so
that the temporary file (and later the real file) receives ACLs at creation time.
Well, that won't help much if your users are playing with specific ACLs on
each individual file, but that's probably enough for most cases.

Although I have not tested it with this ACL case, another solution is maybe to
use OpenOffice    ;-)

HTH
Pierre