[Samba] Ver 3.0.4 Anonymous access, no Password required

Zane Minninger zminninger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 22:41:30 GMT 2005

I have searched the Docs, How-to's, and this news group/ Mailing list
and still haven't found what I am looking for, at least not an answer.

I am simply trying to allow access to public shares on my Linux PC
(slackware 10).  I have a directory setup but the only way to get in
is to send a Username and Password.  I am setting it up for WinXP and
Win2K PC's to access.  I have set up the nobody account, even gave it
a password of nothing and enabled it.  Still WinXP requests a userID
and password.

  I do have a mildly, but not outrageous, custom setting.  I have 2
nics and only want one of them to be accessed by windows request.  I
am not sure what account the WinXP tries to connect with by default.

I can make a share on Windows and tell it to allow read access by
anyone, so no one has to enter an ID or password.  Is this possible in
Samba and I passed some critical information to make this work?
; /etc/smb.conf
;
; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file, ex:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
   workgroup = Trigun
   server string = Niles Server
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   share modes = yes
   interfaces = X.X.X.225/29 ; 1 of 5 Statics, Subnet 255.255.255.248
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
;   valid users = %s

[Upload]
   comment = Upload Area
   path = /var/ftp/pub/uploaded
   read only = no
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

;[homes]
;   comment = Home Directories
;   browseable = no
;   read only = no
;   create mode = 0750

[Pub]
   comment = Public Folder
   path = /var/ftp/pub
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   write list = midnight
~

Any help would be appriciate, and sorry if seems I'm upset, frustrated
is more like it.  Every post I've seen has a couple of suggestions and
then no "yes it worked, no it didn't".  And there are only 3 or so I
could find in the archive.

--Zane

P.S. On a side not, I would love to have the Homes sections un
commented but if I use an ID with no password for the time being, it
gives the home directory of the ID.  I hope if there is a solution to
the no password dialog box, that it will allow homes to be opened.  If
not, any suggestions?  All suggestions are welcome, as well as any
improvements to this config are welcome.  I know so little, I'm amazed
I got samba to work, last time and 1 week later I had nothing working.