[Samba] Samba Upgrade...

Christian Merrill cmerrill at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 19:49:44 GMT 2005

Brent Smith wrote:

> Sorry if this is a dup.  I sent right before I subscribed to the list,
> so I'm not sure if it made it.
>

> I have just taken over a redhat system with Samba 3.0.0 configured
> with security = user, and domain logins enabled. I've included the
> smb.conf at the end of this message.
>
> I would like to upgrade to 3.0.10 for a numbers of reasons, one
> being security and one being that password changes don't work
> from workstation machines because of the Windows KB828741
> patch.  What I want to know, is if I should expect any
> incompatibilities between versions or if my existing config
> files will work with the new version?  This is a mission
> critical system, so I really don't want to upgrade unless
> there are going to be very minimal issues.
>
> Will a simple rpm -Uvh ./samba-3.0.10-1_rh9.i386.rpm put me
> in the clear?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Here is some information about the system:

If you are going from a Red Hat supplied Samba release to one released
by samba.org various things will be in different places.  /etc/samba/
will remain the same however and your config files should translate
over.  Also keep in mind that Red Hat has split it's Samba package into
three groups (samba, samba-client, samba-common).  My advice is to
remove all of your existing samba packages (backing up your config files
of course) and then doing a clean install if this is the case.

Christian