[Samba] smbstatus not working as non-root user

Laurent Blume laurent.blume at infores.com
Mon Jan 31 14:18:52 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I haven't found any clear information yet about that problem.

I'm trying the following workaround, however. If anybody believes it's
not the Right Way To Do It, please do not hesitate to tell me.

What I need: regular users to be able to use smbstatus, because they
need to know what files are in use

What I did: I changed the group of smbstatus to smbnull, put its setid
bit on, changed the group and permissions on the locks directory and all
the .lck files to be writable by smbstatus.

This makes smbstatus work for regular users as it did before the upgrade.
Is it a security issue?

Laurent