[Samba] mount a share on a W2k server

Marcus Hoffmann marcus.hoffmann at supsi.ch
Mon Jan 31 08:35:18 GMT 2005

Hi everybody,

excuse me when I ask something maybe 100 times discussed in this
newsgroup, I try to mount a share on a W2k server box with samba (from
a Fedora 2.6.5 machine) without success. Doing the same with a NT
Server machine in the same LAN works perfectly. It seems that it's
a problem of the password (encryption ?? digitally sign communications
are disabled !!).

[root at hase root]# mount -t smb -o username=myname //w2kserver/bck
Password:
32546: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed
[root at hase root]#

But anonymous login works:

[root at hase root]# smbclient -L //10.1.1.123 -N
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[IST] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
session request to 10.1.1.123 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 10 failed (Called name not present)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[IST] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        BELL
        IG
        DB1