[Samba] newbie help, please?

Phil Temples phil at temples.com
Sun Jan 30 17:09:53 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Samba (version 3.0.8pre1-0.pre1.3) to play with some
WinXP boxes. I'm using WORKGROUPS, not DOMAIN. The server is running
under Fedora Core 3. And I'm following the troubleshooting chapter in
the O'Reilly book, Chapter 9.

I cannot browse the shares from my WinXP machine. I CAN browse and
access shares okay as a client on the Samba server machine.

I may have a combination of network and/or authentiation problems.

I keep getting an "Error 5: Network path was not found" when attempting
to see my "tmp" share on the server from the WinXP client. Googling this
error tells me that it's an authentication problem.

I have password encryption turned on in smb.conf. And I have the
identical username/password on the linux box and the WinXP box. And I
have the same username/password set in the Samba password file via
smbpasswd.

Even setting the password to null for a samba user doesn't work.

On another note, I'm thinking address resolution isn't working correctly.

When I attempt a "nmblookup -B clientname '*' (where I type in "europa"
for the clientmame) I get:

    [root at callisto samba]$ nmblookup -B europa '*'
    querying * on 192.168.1.104
    name_query failed to find name *

(I have europa entered in my linux/samba server's /etc/hosts file.)

This is supposed to indicate a spelling error, or the client software on
the PC isn't installed, started or bound to TCP/IP.

My smb.conf file has:

[global]

# no printers for now
         load printers = no

# map drive
         logon drive = S:

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
         workgroup = jupiter

         server string = SambaServer

;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.0.0.1
         hosts allow = 192.168.1.  127.

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
# all log information in one file
#   log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
         max log size = 50

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#       a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
         local master = yes

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
         os level = 64

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
#   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
         preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
         domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
# 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be specified
# the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the unix
# system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts OR
# DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config,
/etc/nsswitch.conf
# and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system configuration
# dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS lookups
# in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
# The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that
are NOT
# on the local network segment
# - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
         name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
         wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but
NOT both
#   wins server = w.x.y.z
#   wins server = 192.168.1.11

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
         wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
         dns proxy = no

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
;  case sensitive = no

==============================
         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
         template shell = /bin/false
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         password server = None
         winbind use default domain = no
[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         browseable = yes
         writeable = yes
         valid users = %S
         create mask = 0600
         directory mask = 0700
         hide files = /*.pst/

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /tmp
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    share modes = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
         comment = Temporary file space
         path = /tmp
         writeable = yes
         guest ok = yes

--

The Samba book suggests testing the network using the nmblookup command
to test the ability of programs to use broadcast (when all else fails,

But I get:

[root at callisto samba]$ nmblookup -d 2 '*'
added interface ip=192.168.1.11 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
querying * on 192.168.1.255
name_query failed to find name *

It ought to find the client "europa" (192.168.1.104).

On the client europa, I have

- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
- QoS Packet Scheduler
- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

checkboxes clicked.

Any ideas?