[Samba] [Samba 3.0.10] Trouble with roaming profiles: win XP clients 'network name not found'

Jonathan Salomon joni at 2male.com
Sat Jan 29 12:41:01 GMT 2005

Hi all!

I have a problem and I can't seem to figure out what is causing it.
Because of this I think it's important to tell the whole story...

One of my clients has a small office network, where these used to be a
Samba 2.x.x server using smbpasswd acting as PDC. A few month ago I
installed a new server with samba 3.0.9 (now upgraded to 3.0.10) and
OpenLDAP for authentication (as described in the idealx manual).

I wanted to save the machine trusts with the win xp clients, because I
did not want to rejoin all the clients again (it would be possible but I
considered it to be a nice exercise for larger setups), so after
installing samba I set the SID from the old samba pdc and migrated users
from the old server to the new server using the openldap migration tools.

Everything seems to be working just fine except for one problem:
sometimes (and I can't find a pattern) when loggin in on a win xp client
I get a popup saying windows can't find the profile (DETAIL - Network
name not found). So windows says it will log the user on with the local
profile. Somehow also the netlogon logon script is not executed and the
homedir is not mapped. When fully logged in I can run
\\pdc\netlogon\login.bat and only then the shares will be mapped (except
for the homedir). When I try to access the profiles directory with
smbclient everything is working like it should be.

So I want to know why sometimes win xp complains it can't find the profile.

Somewhere on the newsgroup I found someone with a similar problem saying
that it could somehow be connected with that the SID of the user is
different before and after login (caused by the changing of the SID
while migrating), but since I don't know enough about the login process
I am unsure about this. For completeness however hereby is the output of
the smbldap-usershow for the user joni:

dn: uid=joni,ou=Users,dc=xxxxx,dc=com
uid: joni
cn: joni
objectClass: account,posixAccount,top,shadowAccount,sambaSamAccount
shadowLastChange: 12613
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
uidNumber: 693
gidNumber: 501
homeDirectory: /home/joni
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1022628538-1959064621-2949423962-2386
sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-1022628538-1959064621-2949423962-2003
sambaAcctFlags: [UX         ]
sambaPasswordHistory:
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
sambaLMPassword: 9117E070C0F2D95AAAD3B435B51404EE
sambaNTPassword: A56C5D3CA67ABCA1F867B04A025DC238
sambaPwdLastSet: 1100706011
userPassword: {SMD5}xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sambaPwdCanChange: 0
gecos: joni
sambaPwdMustChange: 2147483647
displayName: joni