[Samba] Inherit permissions question (Please help)(disclaimer)

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Jan 29 06:39:09 GMT 2005

David,

    I'm kinda shooting in the dark here, but from what I remember, you need
to be able to manage various user files without affecting the user ownership
and while preserving the 'security' of each users files from being seen from
everybody else. What I would do is create a group in /etc/groups -- called
'manager' or whatever. The member(s) of the manager group would be whoever
would need read/write access to every users files. I would then set user and
group ownership of the user's home directories to "user.manager" via chown.
That way cron or whatever is running as 'manager' could do whatever is
needed globally for all users while preserving the individual user security.
In that vein, force group = manager would assure access to the manager. The
only fly in the ointment would be if you had a common share that all needed
to access while you are still trying to preserve individual security to.
But, heck, if that's the case, then individual security would be irrelevant
unless you simply wanted to grant write access to each.

    Like I said, I'm shooting in the dark, but that is my .02 on what you
are looking at. Linux/samba is flexible enough from a permissions standpoint
that you can do about anything you want to. The Linux basic permissions of
user.group.world coupled with force user, force group and inherit
permissions along with your /etc/group definitions are the basic building
blocks for just about anything you can think of.

    One other option would be to define an 'admin users = ' for the shares
you want to manage. That is another option for giving a user or group of
users rwx access to any share while preserving user privacy.

    Hope this helps. And of course the disclaimer: I'm a lawyer, who use to
be an engineer, who still 'thinks' he can stay reasonably current on his OS
of choice, but has to regrettably admit that I am no authority on the finer
points of coding/samba/Linux anymore. (that stopped when I quit babysitting
750,000 lines of FORTRAN known as SVDS (space vehicle dynamic simulation -
the shuttle ascent launch processor in '89) (Yes that was at the time DIBS
and DOLILU was coming online) (... and for the curious DOLILU = day of
launch I-Load update)(uhh.. GNC, Pitch-Yaw-Roll stuff from SRB ignition to
MECO)(uhh.. it's supposed to keep the wings from coming off going
uphill)(and uhh.. again, ET foam shedding was never an issue while
Martin-Marietta built the tank)(and uhh.. the Martin-Thiokol booster o-ring
problem had been found and addressed by then [51-L] --> STS26)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC