[Samba] Samba No Network Browsing

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Sat Jan 29 03:17:25 GMT 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 12:38, Marvin Bonilla wrote:

> The problems is that  there is no
> browse list even thought everything works fine. I can share files with
> others machines but don't see anything on network neighborhood.

Can you give specific example of how you connect your windows client to the
server?

Are you trying to browse from a remote network?
If so, you may want to read this section of the howto:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2530513

Your client computers must  be configured to use the wins server.  On a
windows machine, open the command prompt and type
	ipconfig /all
One of the output lines should tell you the ip address of your wins server.
It should be the same address as your samba server -- is it?

I'm presuming you have a samba server and windows NT/2000/XP Pro clients.  I'm
presuming that this samba server is the only domain server, only wins server.

Are the windows machines actually members of the domain? Your samba config
shows domain logons are disabled but your earlier post shows your domain is:
"TVGBCAST" and your server's name is "laxbcastdns01".
I may be mistaken, but I believe a windows client will not see the domain
server's shares if it is not a member of the server's domain.

on the samba server type
	nmblookup -M
what is the output?

on the windows box, try nbtstat  with its various flags and see what you get.

> wins support = yes
> name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
Your name resolve order is not correct according to the SAMBA howto. It should
be:

 	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast host