[Samba] Using an LDAP Directory for Samba Authentication

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Jan 28 07:03:17 GMT 2005

Alex Satrapa:

> Check the Samba + LDAP howto document on the IDEALX site:
> http://samba.IDEALX.org/smbldap-howto.fr.html
>

>> Even if create a posix+sambaAccount, I have to
>> explicitly create a samba user via smbpasswd -a username.
>
> If Samba is properly configured, use the smbldap-tools (also from the
> IDEALX site, IIRC) to manage accounts. Makes life so much easier.

An alternative: I have no use for the IDEALX stuff in a high school with
1150+ users, who are already Unix users with a single password for LTSP,
mail etc. and where we're implementing a Samba 3.0.9 PDC for 25+ Windows
2000/XP machines, 100+ users. The attached tiny script for OL 2.2.17
worked fine for me. Entering the basic machines by hand into the DSA was
no great hassle - GQ 1.0b2 (www.biot.com - .org?) makes DSA administration
a breeze.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl