SOLUTION Re: [Samba] Domain admins not getting local admin rights

Morgan Toal mtoal at burlingtoniowa.org
Fri Jan 28 18:28:45 GMT 2005

OK here's the deal, thanks especially to John for your time today and
remedial attention :)

My issue, to repeat myself, was that I was logging in as a domain
administrator on a Windows box, and while I was domain administrator
just fine, I was not having local administrator rights on that box. For
example, I could not install software, or change the network connection,
things like that which are a pain in the keester.

Turns out I had several issues going on, pretty much all relating to the
fact that I had simply migrated my samba v2.2 configuration in situ and
expected it to just work, and mostly it just did... mostly...

1. I was still using smbpasswd, and needed to move to tdbsam. Apparently
  I could have done net groupmaps all day and these are ignored if
you're not using tdbsam as your authentication mechanism as smbpasswd
cannot tie together the SIDS and such which results in users
disconnected with their appropriate group memberships. (correct me if I
am wrong). So I converted it with:

   pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam

This process took all of 2 seconds.

2. I needed to modify the [global] section in my smb.conf to conform to
v3 features. For example I did not have the "add machine script"
directive set. I basically copied the one in the "impatient" section of
the howto. I needed to set "passdb backend = tdbsam" since we're using
this now.

3. I probably did not need to, but I stopped samba, blew away my old
/var/cache/samba/group_mapping.tdb and restarted samba.

4. I had to remap my groups, since i nuked group_mapping.tdb:

   net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=domainadmin

5. I logged out on my windows box as the domain admin user, and logged
back in as that same user. Lo and behold, I am local administrator
again. Whoo-hoo!!! :)

thanks again!

mtoal