[Samba] Weird IP's in WINS

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Fri Jan 28 18:10:29 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 09:51 -0800, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> Colleagues-
> 	I'm experiencing a very odd problem that seems to be the root of some
> cross-subnet domain logon / browsing problems I am experiencing.
<snip>
>  I tried manually removing those addresses from the file, but they
> re-appeared after restarting nmbd...

I think I managed to get this solved. Shortly after I sent my previous
message I came across the thread ""Phantom" domain controller
problem..." which sounded fairly similar, and it is likely that the IP's
in question were assigned to this server while I built it. Rather than
the slash and burn technique described there I simply deleted the
offending entries in wins.dat as I have several static entries and
whatnot that I did not want to lose. Hopefully this will resolve my
spotty off-subnet domain logons, as the wins entries are now correct.
Why does nmbd hang on to those old IP's for so long? This machine hasn't
had those 192.168.x.x addresses for 6 months or more!

--
-Best Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-
Technology Coordinator