[Samba] "Phanton" domain controller problem...

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri Jan 28 16:48:38 GMT 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 09:39, Tarjei Huse wrote:
> tor, 27,.01.2005 kl. 18.04 -0700, skrev John H Terpstra:
> > >
> > > /var/lib/samba
> > >
> > > Thanks, that did it. The files are in /var/cache/samba on FC3
> > >
> > > Can I ask: in trying to sort this out, I discovered I wasn't running
> > > winbindd. Now, I've no other WINS server, although there is a DNS
> > > server. Do I need winbindd?
> >
> > You need winbind to handle users who use workstations that are NOT part
> > of your domain.
>
> ?!
>
> Why? I've used samba with workstations that are not part of my domains
> lots of times without using winbind. I though winbind was for using
> samba as a memberserver in a domain controlled by another samba/windows
> PDC.

Not quite! If your Samba server will be accessed from domains other than the
Samba domain, or if you have access from machines that are not domain members
winbind will permit the allocation of UIDs and GIDs from the assigned pool
that will keep the identity of the foreign user separate from users that are
members of the Samba domain. Of course the Samba domain members are local
users on the host that Samba is running on.

For example:

If you have a user called "george" on the Samba server, and the samba domain
is called "BIGDOGS", this user will be BIGDOGS\george. A user called "george"
who has a local account on a notebook running Windows 2000, where the
notebook is called "HOLYCOWS" will be recognized as HOLYCOW\george only if
winbind is running. In this case winbind will allocate a separate UID for
HOLYCOW\george and he will NOT be given access as if he is the Windows user
BIGDOGS\george.

If you are happy to map the HOLYCOW\george automatically to the user on the
UNIX host called george there is no need to run winbind.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra