[Samba] printing Problems in Samba 3.0.10

Manuel Capinha mcapinha at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:58:11 GMT 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:55:30 +0100, Christoph Klein
<christophk at cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
> we are using Samba for a year in our departement. It replaced a
> dedicated win2k-server for printer and file sharing. We are quite happy
> with it, but we have still some problems. Does anyone of you know
> solutions to this:
> 1. We are using HP Laserjet 4300 in our departement. Driver ( origial PS
> drivers from HP website) installation was successfull and basic functionality works, but some features like collate and n-up are missing on the options panels of the driver. We tested these drivers on a Windows server before, and there they hadd these options.

I've had the same problems with a HP Color Laserjet 5500. HP's drivers
use EMF to provide the n-up (and probably collate) functionality. Now,
EMF runs on the server side and Samba doesn't support it.
Our solution passed by using Adobe's PS drivers. When properly
configured they give you the exact same functionality, altough you
loose all of HP's eye candy in the print gui.

> 2. From time to time our samba server forgets all options of the
> printer: The Driver name, additional installed components (duplex unit,
> second tray) and the long, friendly printer name.
> 3. Since today enumprinter returns for a single printer two printers: one with the friendly name, the other with the share name. If i open the properties dialog, they both show the same dialog for thr printer with the logn name. In smb.conf there is only a signle entry defined for this printer.

I don't know about 2) but about 3): if I recall correctly you have an
option in smb.conf to force Windows to use the samba printer name, as
the printer name (Windows automatically uses the print driver name
instead of the printer name, IIRC). Search the mailing lists and
you'll find more about this.

HTH,
manuel