[Samba] Having problems running palm desktop or the uninstall program

Matthew Easton info at sublunar.com
Fri Jan 28 09:31:33 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 09:13, Richmond Dyes wrote:
> I have a user John Dow on a local machine  johnsmachine. I have a samba
> user jdow.  When I moved the profile john dow to the domain keydomain, I
> can't get the  install program to run.  This is how it looks.  I have
> local profile  johnsmachine/John Dow and roaming profile
> keydomain/jdow.  When logged into profile johnsmachine/John Dow, I can
> install and uninstall the palm software with no problem.  When I am
> logged into keydomain/jdow on the domain I cannot do any installs or
> uninstalls.

I've had some profile related problems with Palm software when moving a user
from one computer to another with roaming profiles.  The problem came about
when, after logging into the new computer, I tried to install new Palm
software and the installer complained that it couldn't uninstall the old
software.  There are registry entries in the user's profile that have to do
with the Palm software configuration.

In my case, the ultimate solution was to
	backup data,
	delete roaming profile from server,
	login as user on new computer to create new roaming profile,
	login as administrator
	restore data,
	give domain user local admin rights,
	relogin as user