[Samba] CIFS with Kerberos and client signing

Laurent Birtz Laurent.Birtz at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Jan 28 03:23:09 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to mount a Samba share on Linux 2.6.10, using samba-3.0.7.
The authentication is done using Kerberos V5, on a Windows server.
The share is located on a Solaris server that uses samba-3.0.10.

Authentication with Kerberos is functional (I can get a ticket
using kinit(1)).

The server requires client (packet?) signing. The admins in charge
of the server refuse to make it optional.

Here's what I do, and the error I get.

 > mount -t cifs //sirius/birtz /mnt/hd
Password: <type password>

[Long pause].

mount error 5 = Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I enabled debugging in /proc, and I can see the following messages
(trimmed down the output):

fs/cifs/cifsfs.c: Devname: //sirius/birtz flags: 64
 fs/cifs/connect.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_mount as Xid: 8 with uid: 0
 fs/cifs/connect.c: Username: root
 fs/cifs/connect.c: UNC: \\sirius\birtz ip: <snip>
Unable to load NLS charset cp437
 fs/cifs/connect.c: Socket created
 fs/cifs/connect.c: Existing smb sess not found
 fs/cifs/transport.c: For smb_command 114
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb of length 47

fs/cifs/cifsencrypt.c: dummy signature received for smb command 0x73
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Unexpected signature received from server
Status code returned 0xc000005e NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
 fs/cifs/netmisc.c:  !!Mapping smb error code 2215 to POSIX err -5 !!
 CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -5
 fs/cifs/connect.c: No session or bad tcon
 fs/cifs/connect.c: CIFS VFS: leaving cifs_mount (xid = 8) rc = -5
 CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -5
 fs/cifs/connect.c: Wait for exit from demultiplex thread

Did anyone encounter this problem? I find it weird that mount(1) requests
a password and apparently has no option to use an existing Kerberos
ticket.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Laurent Birtz

[NB: I'm not suscribed to the list, please CC me if you reply]