[Samba] Very slow SAMBA

cheexer cheexer at secure-tunnel.com
Fri Jan 28 02:22:47 GMT 2005

I started using Samba 3.0.2a in Suse 9.1 (x86_64).  The samba server was
lighting fast with both Linux and Windows clients.  I have a closed
network with myself as the only user, so I'm not to concerned about
security.

I "updated" to Samba 3.0.8.  this turns out to be a big mistake.  the
Windows clients are still lighting fast, but my Linux client access to
the samba shares is VERY slow.  There is a long delay and I always get
"cannot change permissions..." I click this, it goes away, I go get a
cup of coffee and 5 min later the file will end up uploaded to the
server as desired.  As it is, this is unusable.

Needless to say, this is very irritating.

I s this a common occueance, and how can I get back to the original
performance ?