[Samba] installation without logging on as administrator

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Jan 27 21:33:53 GMT 2005

>> Add your users to power users group or run install programs as
>> administrator: right_click->run_as->administrator,passwd.
>> It is also possible to change system policies (not trivial).
>

> is there a solution where I do NOT need to give the users admin
> permissions?

This is a fairly common conundrum.  You don't want to be troubled with
running around to everyone's machine to install software but you also
don't want users to have the power to screw up their systems, either by
knowingly installing crap, or by malicious apps installing crap.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK you can't have it both
ways.  If a user is going to be able to install programs they either
have to be (an) Admin user or the software install privilege must be
delegated.

Pain? Yes.  (extremely simple) better way around it? Not so much. That
being said, there have been several threads on package deployment stuff
like adamoto and wpkg, and then more extensive scripting apps like
kickstart, possibly others, and many people report great success with
them.  I can only suggest you give one a try and see how it flys for
you.  Do a search for software deployment (I think) in the archives and
you should come across a rather lengthy discussion.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322