[Samba] Problems when using cupsaddsmb: my solution

alexander goeres - lieblinxNET agoeres at lieblinx.net
Thu Jan 27 20:51:55 GMT 2005

Hi,

I was fighting with the same problem for the past two days and just found a
solution for me.

In my configuration it was a HPLaserjet5P that should be served through a
samba 3.0.10 machine on Debian Sarge/unstable with w2k client to use it.

The printer was configured nicely within cups and printed test pages perfectly
when it was told to.

Since I couldn't find any of those famous cups-samba drivers I took the
drivers to be automatically deployed on the clients from one w2k machine (as
mentioned in the howtos) and copied them to the
directory:  /usr/share/cups/drivers

cupsaddsmb didn't do anything but giving the output you mentioned when i tried
to use it according to the CUPS part of the samba howto collection.. BTW,
this message from cupsaddsmb looks quite like success, at least it doesn't
resemble an error message but it didn't create the necessary directory
(/var/lib/samba/printers/W32x86/3) and thus failed to put the drivers in
there.

Then after 2 days of trying to do tricks with samba and cups (e.g. copying the
drivers myself to the directory - in vain) I read those seven words, that
solved the problem.

In cupsaddsmb's man page just before the listing of the necessary but inferior
windows driver files, there was it:
" .... and copy the files exactly as named below"

The driver files I had copied were all capital letters, the ones listed
weren't. I changed that, ran "cupsaddsmb -v -U root hplaserjet5p" again and
it worked.

Nearly two nightshifts for this stuff ...:-\

Hope it helps you

Alexander

--
netzwerk- & systemadministrator