[Samba] Printing problems

Josh Kelley josh at jbc.edu
Thu Jan 27 19:42:29 GMT 2005

I'm having several printing problems.  Server is RHEL 3, running
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.2 and cups-1.1.17-13.3.22.  Clients are Win2K and WinXP.

First, we're seeing the "failure to remove print jobs from queue list
display" problem that others have reported.  The document count for each
printer also doesn't match the number of jobs in the queue list.  I
understand that there's a patch available for Samba 3.0.10 to fix the
former problem; will it fix the latter problem as well?  Will the patch
apply to Red Hat's samba-3.0.9 (it looks like it will), or do I need to
upgrade to 3.0.10?

Second, we're seeing lots of the following messages in our log files:
[2005/01/27 13:31:34, 0] rpc_server/srv_lsa_hnd.c:create_policy_hnd(111)
  create_policy_hnd: ERROR: too many handles (1025) on this pipe.
I'm getting reports from users that they're intermittently unable to
print.  Windows reports, "Unable to create a print job"; this seems to
correspond with the "too many handles" errors, but I haven't gotten
details consistently enough to know for sure.  Any suggestions?

I appreciate any help that can be given.

Josh Kelley