[Samba] 2 Domains on one server (browse.dat location) (3.0.9)

zheka zheka at uvt.cz
Thu Jan 27 16:21:14 GMT 2005

Duncan Brannen wrote:

> Appologies for double posting this.  I managed to add it to the end of
> an old thread instead of starting a new one,
> anyone recommend a mail client that shows threads? :)
>

> Hi,
>     I'm trying to run 2 domains from the one server.  I've got my 2
> config files
> and both servers run, bound to the correct interface if started normally.
>
> The problem I have occurs when I try to start both at once.  nmdb
> seems to be hardwired
> to write to $SAMBA_ROOT/var/locks/browse.dat  so each instance of nmbd
> overwrites
> the data of the other.
>
> Have I missed an option to configure it to write elsewhere? ( log,
> lock & pid dirs don't do it)
> or, do I have to recompile samba with a new root?
>
> Feature Request::  Is it possible to have an option to reset this
> location if it doesn't exist?
>
> Is there a good howto anywhere on 2 domains / one machine or a good
> reason not to do it?
> (Pref for Solaris)
>
> We've got the same users in each domain, with the same ldap backend,
> The problem
> being solved is that of giving some users escalated permissions when
> logged into their
> own domain (Set group of machines ) but allowing them to log into the
> "World usable"
> domain (open access machines) with normal permissions. Joe Blogs
> shouldn't be able to
> login to the 2nd domain, & I've controlled access using the ldap
> filter in smb.conf. (Good / Bad idea?)
>
> Any comments from those who done this appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>     Duncan

Yes, you missed the parameter "lock directory" in smb.conf. browse.dat
lays under the lock directory path.
I have successfull installation of samba server with two domains, but it
works only if locking directories are separated. And yes, you will need
separate ldap records for same users in different domains (because of
different SIDs).

--
Ing. Yevheniy Demchenko
UVT s.r.o.