[Samba] Re: Best practices for long-running Samba server

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Jan 27 16:08:02 GMT 2005

David Landgren wrote:

>>The client running our first Samba3 PDC production server had an uptime of 115 days, then the uptime got spoiled by them moving to a new building.
>>

>I'm not quite sure what the fascination is with long uptimes. It's
>good to reboot the system from time to time, not because it needs it,
>but just to prove that you still can.

Here here.  I've seen it posted elsewhere and it makes a good point -
long uptimes show that the machine hasn't had its updates run on the
core OS.  Until you can find a way to reload the kernel without
rebooting (oxymoron) long uptimes are a mark of lazyness.

What I'd rather see is longest stretch of not having to be rebooted
between the hours of 7am and 6pm.  Unfortunately the uptime command
doesn't tell us that ;)

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322