[Samba] Windows XP profile problems

zheka zheka at uvt.cz
Thu Jan 27 15:55:52 GMT 2005

Mike Partyka wrote:

>s there is trick to fully copying an existing local profile over to your new
>domain profile after you join the Samba domain?  I tried the profile copy
>under System Properties, on the advanced tab and although it completed, I
>log on and MS office wants to load files from the CD and my start menu seems
>to be missing the entire left side column.
>

>When I look at the size and number of files my original profile definitely
>is bigger and has more files, so evidently not all the profile gets copied.
>

>Could someone share the trick to getting the profile copied over just as it
>was?
>

>Thanks,
>

>Mike Partyka
>
>Stonepath Logistics
>
>Systems Administrator
>
>(651)405-4300 Desk
>
>(651)208-5734 Cell
>
>(651)405-4342 Fax

0. Figure out, where old profile is stored (usually, c:\documens and
settings\<username>, but <username> may content machine name or
something like <username000> or so. Simply have a look to Desktop
directory in this profile - it should contain your desktop items).
1. Log on as user to the new domain - new local settings directory is
created (c:\documents adn settings\<username> or c:\documents and
settings\<domain>/<username>).
2. Log on as LOCAL administrator to machine and copy contents of old
profile to this new local settings directory. If NTFS, set recursively
proper rights to this directory.
3. logon and logout as user - new settings should be used and copied to
server (if using roaming profiles).
It works for me, no warranties, that this is a proper way ;)

--
Ing. Yevheniy Demchenko
UVT s.r.o.