[Samba] Recycler problem

zheka zheka at uvt.cz
Thu Jan 27 15:55:28 GMT 2005

Christian Marx wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have Samba 3.0.10 with SuSE 9.1 running and a problem with the
> recycler feature of Samba.
>
> Following setup:
>
> - User A deletes file F1 in directory D
> - Samba produces file .recycler/D/F1
> - D has permissions -rwx------, F1 has permissions -rwxrw-r-- (owner A)
> - User B deletes file F2 in directory D
> - F2 doesn't show up in .recycler/D
>
> So all files User B deletes in directory D are lost.
>
> Any suggestions on that?
>
> --- smb.conf

>    create mask = 775
>    directory mask = 0775
>
>    vfs objects = recycle
>    recycle:keeptree = Yes
>    recycle:touch = Yes
>    recycle:versions = Yes
>    recycle:maxsize = 0
>    recycle:exclude = *.tmp|~$*
>    recycle:noversions = *.doc|*.xls|*.ppt

> --- smb.conf end
>
> Thanks,
> Christian Marx

AFAIK, it's intended behaviour. See lines 216 and 234 in vfs_recycle.c.
2 independent ways to resolve the issue:
1. Set default ACL for recycle dir:
# setfacl -d -m g:<some_group>:rwx ./.recycle
2. Quick and dirty patch to vfs_recycle.c:
line 216:
mode = S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IXUSR | S_IRGRP | IXGRP | IWGRP
This should add rwx rights to group on newly created directories under
.recycle

--
Ing. Yevheniy Demchenko
UVT s.r.o.