[Samba] ACL's for smbpasswd to work?

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu Jan 27 07:38:33 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 12:12, Tim Tyler wrote:
>    Samba experts,
>      Thanks to advice from this list, I am finally able to get smbpasswd to
> change ldap passwords for the Samba LM/NT passwords.   However, I had to
> give write access to sambaPwdLastSet and sambaPwdCanChange attributes as
> well.  Other Samba attributes don't seem to need write access.  I have
> found plenty of examples with people assigning an ACL for sambaLMPassword
> and sambaNTPassword, but I haven't found examples that included other
> attributes such as sambaPwdLastSet and sambaPwdCanChange.
>    Can someone explain why these fields need write access while there is so
> little documentation suggesting it (if any)?  I guess I am not surprised
> that they need write access as much as I am surprised there is so little
> documentation suggesting it.

When you have figured all of it out, your help in improving the documentation
will be much appreciated. If you have patches or specific suggestions for
addition to the documentation please submit them to me, or post a bug report
on http://bugzilla.samba.org and post your patches or documentation updates
there.

Thanks.

Cheers,