[Samba] Access 2003 printing?

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Jan 26 21:51:46 GMT 2005

Derek Harkness wrote:

> Has anybody found a fix for the Access 2003 printing?  I've got a
> couple of work arounds but neither is a good long term solution.

My solution was to replace Access ( XP in our case ) with Gtk2-Perl apps
- reports are rendered direct to PDFs and opened in gpdf. You'd be
surprised how well it works :)

If you want a quick workaround and you're using a CUPS printing backend
on your Samba server, you can try using direct IPP printing ( without
Samba in the middle ... sorry to anyone who is offended by this solution
... I don't mean any harm ). There are plently of instructions around on
how to do this, but you basically use the 'add new printer' wizard, and
on the first step ( where it asks you for the share name or to click the
browse button ), you select the bottom option ( print to a printer on
the internet or your intranet ). Then enter the printer's path, in the
format:

http://servername_or_ip_address/printers/printer_name_in_cups

so my 'laserjet4500' printer in cups is:

http://10.146.0.254/printers/laserjet4500

It works like a charm for us. Of course if you need to have Samba in the
equation for some reason, then this option will not do at all. But if
you just want to get your damned Access 2003 apps to print to your
printer then it will work great.

One more possibility to try before all this is to check what drivers
you're using. I don't know the exact problem you're having, and this
might be completely unrelated, but Access refuses to print through PCL6
drivers on any of our printers ( last time I tested this was through
Samba, but now we're using direct IPP everywhere ). Downgrading to PCL5
drivers got printing working for us.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer